The French Hospital originally opened in 1867, and the Dispensary followed in 1871. The two establishments merged under the name of the French Hospital and Dispensary, and moved to a new building in Shaftesbury Avenue in 1890, financed by generous donations including one from the French Government.

When the French Hospital was closed in 1966, its buildings were sold to the British Health Ministry and with the help of a subsidy from the French Government it continued as an out-patient clinic known as the Dispensaire Français.